Monday 10 October 2011

the last 72 hours

[sat in BucksStar, Putney, London; enjoying coffee and not enjoying a cardboard pot of porridge]

The last 72 + hours have been manic! I swear!

Friday I left Crete, I didnt actually think I'd make it, but I did. I swear I have not had so much drama in a long time. Thursday night I said goodbye to my Diosce cove friends and also to a friend I made called Sam. So we went for a beer on the beach, it was supposed to be in a bar, but I got sad and my knee escaped through a massive hole in my jeans, thus exposing 3 quaters of my left leg, and leaving me feeling like a tramp. So to the beach we go, beer in hand and Its a lovely night, sat there, talking, the stars shining and reflecting off the sea, so then I hear a noise behind me, so I turn round to investigate..... and BAM! Nose versus Sun lounger. the back of the chair flips up and hits me square in the nose in a feat worthy of 'You've Been Framed' Sunlounger 1 - Nose 0. thankfully it's not broken, just a wee bit bruised and sore.

So far, not so good.

Friday morning, I wait for the taxi to take me to the airport, as arranged with the hotel, 11am comes, 11:15, swiftly flys by, still no taxi, so I run around, nearly crying (I cant actually cry) trying to find a phone, and make friends with a lovely young greek man and his dogs, who nearly ate me while I sat in his front garden. turns out the taxi hasnt been ordered after all. Shoot! my flight leaves at 1:50....

The taxi came at last and I arrive with ten minutes before check in closes, but the taxi driver, love him, turns to me and says 70 euro please.... AHHHH! So I get a little angry and phone the hotel and wait for them to ring back. squeaky bum time! it's ok though.

Check in - 3 kilo overweight (the bag that is) thank god for the lovely Greek Amy Winehouse lookalike on the desk. she lets me off.

oh my, the plane, full of screaming babies and my nail varnish explodes, ALL OVER MY BAG and neighbouring passengers.

so finally, I arrive, purple handed at Gatwick, but as soon as I get my luggage, the wheels come off. roll on 8 hours travel dragging an overweight suitcase with no wheels.

It's been lovely to be home, be it all very brief. I spent time with my family and friends, had a traditional boozy lunch with my Nan and then set off again down to London last night. (Thankyou to Tash for buying me lunch and entertaining me for hours in the pub, and for dropping me off at the bus station)

so, now, not so fresh after an 8 hour coach journey and an hour and a half on the bus, I'm on my third coffee, I'm not going to sleep for a long time I feel.

oh well. Marbs here I come! Watch out PB.. Fiona's about.

Love to you all x

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Fiona, this is truly a memorable travel tale! I don't know what it is about some trips where one thing after another goes wrong. I'm glad you're back home safely. Take your time unpacking and give yourself a chance to breathe! :)